Soup & Bread!
Well, that was fun!
Here’s the recipe I ended up going with for the soup, adapted from Food.com
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb of carrots, cut into 1” pieces
1 inch of fresh ginger root, grated
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (to taste)
3 cups homemade veggie stock
1 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon sungold preserves (teaspoon of honey would also work)
1/3 cup coconut milk (almond, soy or dairy would also work)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup soymilk (or almond, rice, dairy, etc.)
a big chunk (1.5 to 2 inches, really) of peeled ginger, chopped roughly (the blender will do the rest)
1 tsp hot chili flakes or fresh hot peppers
1/2 tsp salt
Juice from 1 full lime
Run the blender until the ginger chunks are gone, then refrigerate for 10-30 minutes, which makes the whole mixture nice and tangy!
1) In a large heavy saucepan cook onion, celery, and garlic in oil over moderately low heat for 4-6 minutes, stirring, until onion is softened.
2) Add carrots, ginger, red pepper flakes, and broth and simmer, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 45 minutes.
3) While that’s simmering, add garnish ingredients to a blender and puree until the ginger is mixed in. Put the mixture in your fridge until the end of your prep time, and the cream will come out tasting nice and tangy!
4) Stir in remaining ingredients into the soup. With a blender or immersion blender, puree mixture in batches (use caution when blending hot liquids).
5) Return soup to pan and heat over low heat until hot, being careful not to let boil.
6) Serve soup drizzled decoratively with cream mixture.